The Pacific Northwest isn’t particularly prone to disasters; a few floods, forest fires, and the occasional volcano, but “The Big One” is coming! A 9+ magnitude earthquake[1. Oregon Scientists Warn Major Earthquake Is Due and The Really Big One] that’ll likely mess things up a bit.
In preparation for this or a more personal survival event my colleague, Piet, has designed an Emergency Survival Kit for Cars. Here’s his description…
For Christmas this year, I gave our family a survival emergency kit for every car. Some of you asked for my list, which is attached. I’ve also provided links to the items that I purchased on Amazon.
I looked at quite a few ready-made survival kits and elected to make my own. This kit is intended to provide emergency food, shelter, and travel capability for four people for four days in the case of an earthquake or other situation. Our idea is that we are most likely to be near a car in case of an emergency (eg earthquake) and would use this to either stay put until rescued or to use if traveling by foot to get somewhere else, eg. home. Plus, with one kit in every car, we have three kits if we’re at home, providing 12 days supplies for four people plus whatever else is in the pantry.
Each survival kit packs up into one large plastic tub or can be split into two half-height tubs. We already owned the car first aid kit and car road emergency kit for each car, so I don’t have any links to good ones of those.
Please do pass along any thoughts on improvements or questions. There were lots of interesting tradeoffs I considered and am happy to discuss. For example, I decided on cheap and small iodine tablets rather than the latest (and larger) water filter technology.
Here are links to some of the items on Amazon…
- Potable Aqua Water Treatment Tablets
- 115 Hours Emergency Candle, Clear Mist – Set of 6 Survival Candles – (could also use to start a fire) [Piet bought these at Winco for cheaper and no-mess shipping]
- 10 Ft X 12 Ft Orange Tarp – 3.3 Oz.
- Husky HK42WC020B 42-Gallon Contractor Clean-Up Bags, 20 Count
- Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets 54″ X 84″ (20 Pack)
- Emergency Survival Mylar Thermal 2 Person Sleeping Bag – Accommodates 2 Adults – 64″ X 87″- by Grizzly Gear
- HotHands Hand Warmers
- 3M 8000 Particle Respirator N95, 30-Pack
- Ammex VPF Vinyl Glove, Medical Exam, Latex Free, Disposable, Powder Free, X-Large (Box of 100)
- Online Services 8PC Safety Keychain Whistle Boating Camping Hiking Emergency Rescue
- Ivation Solar & Hand Crank AM/FM/NOAA WB Digital Dynamo Radio, Emergency Phone Charger w/ Cables, 3 LED Flashlight, Rechargeable, Rainproof, & Compact
- 2PCS WAYLLSHINE(TM) BLACK 3Mode 7W 300LM Mini CREE X-PE LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp for Riding, Camping, Hiking, Hunting & Indoor Activities and Duracell Quantum QU1500B20Z10 Alkaline-Manganese Dioxide AA Battery, 1.5V, -4 to 130 Degrees F (Pack of 20) (alkaline) with spares. Can flash. [not super bright. Might be better out there]
- Scotch Tough Duct Tape, Heavy Duty All-Weather, 1.88-Inch by 45-Yard
- G & F 1519XL Seamless Knit Nylon Nitrile Form Coated Work Gloves, Black, Size X-Large, 6 Pair Pack
- Ganzo G101-h Multi Pliers Multi Tool Toolkit w/ Screwdriver Kit & Nylon Sheath with can opener, knife, saw, screwdrivers, scissors, plyers, awl, small hex sockets
- SE PB15NP 15″ Heavy-Duty Flat Pry Bar with Gas Valve Shut-Off Feature (can also be used as a hammer, axe or weapon) [Piet bought these at Harbor Freight in Albany for cheaper]
- IRWIN Tools VISE-GRIP Locking Pliers, Original, Long Nose, 4-Inch (1602L3) [Piet bought these at Harbor Freight in Albany for cheaper]
- Paracord Planet Mil-Spec Commercial Grade 550lb Type III Nylon Paracord
- Thomas Guide 2004 Pacfic Northwest Road Atlas (Thomas Guide Pacific Northwest Road Atlas) [2004 edition is recommended over later editions, bought them used for cheap]
- Coghlans Map Compass
- Lavievert Foldable Travel Duffle Bag Attached to Luggage Sports Gear Gym Bag for Outdoor Activities (to put all gear into to take with you)
- Cooking pot [Piet bought these cheap at Goodwill]